Friday 30 September 2011

Alphabet Soup - "Expand" type development










This is the development of my 10 different type face ideas. i found "expand" quite a difficult word to express just using a single letter, However I enjoyed the challenge and I'm happy with some results but others could have more relation with the word. Because of the hand drawn part of the brief I was thinking of quite regimented and measured designs, which allowed me to replicate my ideas into neat 15 x 15 designs.



I used Gil Sans Bold for the existing letter form I used to base my designs on, This is because 
1) Gil Sans is my favorite typeface 
2) The bold element really helped with the "expand" aspect of the brief
3) the shapes of the letters in Gil Sans are quite simple and easier to manipulate.


It is quite clear in many of the designs that I used this font but on others after the manipulation of the letter, it ended up the commonality between the two letters had gone..

I wanted to use the letter "A a", as I believe it has interesting qualities and both the upper and lower case are both so different to each other it would allow me to think of a broader range of ideas and designs. I originally wanted to use the letter "F" but found  it a harder task to manipulate the shape to express "expand".

No comments:

Post a Comment