Sunday 9 October 2011

Alphabet Soup/ Typeface

After initially reading this brief I thought it would be quite easy to make a typeface to characterise a person, but then after interviewing Emma I realised it was alot more difficult than i first thought, to try and make a typeface to portrait someones personality using the set questions I had wasn't an easy task, however, after reading the answers numerous times and coming up with several quite dull ideas, I came up with 5 main words to describe her. 

Metal (music)
  • Heavy
  • Scrap
  • Fast
  • Loud
  • Scream
Scotland 
  • Beautiful
  • Landscape
  • Hills
  • Windy
  • Cold
Height
  • Short
  • Cramped
  • Miniature
  • Tall
  • Small
Cat/ Tigers
  • Angry
  • Sharp
  • Stripe
  • Furry
  • Wild
Quiet 
  • Soft
  • Silent
  • Shy
  • Tranquil
  • Timid


Then after trying to deciding to focus on a typeface that used the words "Heavy" and "Cramped" I thought i had a good basis for an idea,




I took this "Heavy" and "Cramped" Idea onto Adobe Illustrator after liking the heavy blocks in the typeface mixed with the awkward cramped positioning of the letter, But found that even though i really liked a few of the letters, I found many of them were a lot more difficult to design using the same shapes. So I scrapped the Idea and started thinking again of an idea that would represent Emma as well as being simple and aesthetically pleasing.

When Interviewing I found that one of the main areas that kept popping up was Emma having a problem with her height as she said "the one thing she would change if she could would be her height" and her super power would be "Being able to grow to any six she wanted, whenever she wanted". 
This made me turn back to an idea I had the week before from the previous alphabet soup brief where I had to use the word "Expand" as my basis for an alphabet. 
i wanted to use perspective to show each letter going from small to large and perspective was the best and most interesting way I thought of.
As this was Emma's chosen super power I thought it would be the best way to put her into an alphabet.





No comments:

Post a Comment