Sunday 6 May 2012

Design Practice 1 // Your Choice - Typeface development

The first job I had once, deciding on the design of the typeface, is to produce the entire alphabet to see which letters I will have problems with, I already knew that I would not be able to maintain a constant block size, as some letters such as 'S', 'Z'. 'T', 'I', 'V', 'Y' and 'X' will have to differ from the rest of the alphabet as this would mean some letters would be larger than others and this is not acceptable.










I played around with colour, weight and effects to see what alternative designs could be produced from the same typeface.

While experimenting, I accidentally live traced a screenshot of the alphabet, which when the threshold was adjusted, it produced a range of interesting 'hand rendered' styled versions of the typeface, but after debating which one i preferred i thought back to the brief and what I actually wanted to produce, and adding effects to the typeface really didn't add anything to the brief and if I am to produce a font family then it would be better to keep the style constant throughout.




I have decided that to make this brief my own, i want to take the typeface i have produced for 'Expand' and produce a Font family for it, which will include 

  • light
  • light italic
  • regular
  • regular italic
  • bold
  • bold italic
 Even though in this typeface I am only going to produce the upper case for the font, as i think in this visual style it would be very tricky to produce the lower case alphabet while still maintaining a clear constant theme of 'Expand'

No comments:

Post a Comment