Friday 27 January 2012

Design PrinciplesHot dog book design and development

For my hot dog book I decided to satay with the initial idea of using the photographs of 3 and thry to keep a constant theme and style throughout the book.

I would quite like to incoorporate some type into the book, but in order to keep a theme with the image I was thinking of basing each photo / image as a on a saying or quote that involved the number 3.
  • Third times lucky
  • Two's company, three's a crowed

After re thinking which images I would use for the book, I have decided on the following.





All obviously focusing 3 items being the main feature of the image. I think I will try and use the skills learned in our photoshop workshops, to try and enhance my photographs to give them more texture as well as depth. 

From past work I have found that this also creates a better atmosphere for the type That may be incorporated

The typeface used was found through trial and error, 'Krungthep' is the typeface of the 3 throughout, but the type 'two's company but'  change between Krungthep and Helvetica Bold.

 The designs are quite self explanatory I just played around with my images in photoshop, which infact was so incredibly useful as it has improved my knowledge on photoshop quite a lot, which has given me a little more confidence with this piece of software, it also allowed me to be able to swap between Photoshop and Illustrator, which helped me see how the 2 different pieces of software can be interlinked. 

 After trying a variasion of paper shapes, sizes and thicknesses I have come to the conclusion that I am going to stick to an A4 size oage to make the book, as I want to digitally print I also want to print onto a white/ off white stock, prefereably with some texture but not too much so it will make the ink run once printed.

After a trip to the library i have decided on the antique white paper, which is an off white colour, fold-able thickness with just a nice texture to it.










 My one major problem was my un organisation of printing schedule, I left it too late to book a slot in the digital prints so now I have had to print on my own personal printer, the wuality of print is very good, but unfortunately I was limited to A4 prints only, and even thought my printer does borderless printing (which worked for most print) on some the prints came out a little lopsided, which is a little frustrating as some of them you can still see thin white strips on the prints.

 I am quite happy with the final prints, but obviously would have preferred it is I could have got all of the folds and prints perfect. However after talking to peers and acknowledging their prints I have noticed that many people have had difficulty with these hot dog books. It seems to be notoriously difficult to end up with a book that is perfectly straight. i don't know if this is down to print alignments or paper choices, but maybe a Hot dog book is not the neatest book/ leaflet to design.


 Back Poster                                                                   Front book


 Finished Hot dog 'Two's Company but 3' Books.


.

No comments:

Post a Comment