Sunday 7 October 2012

Design Production // Design of chosen nets

I wanted to create an array of different designs for my nets so that it would test the different outcomes therefore me discovering which design suits the print and the stock the best.

I firstly wanted to take the logo to the maximum size I could on the net while still clearly communicating that it would be a Starbucks product.

The Starbucks logo is growing in popularity, in most of the major cities in the world you will probably find a Starbucks, which means that many people in the world know what the logo looks like and could recognise elements of the logo and link it to the company without seeing the entire logo.

Therefore on this first design I didn't want the entire logo to be visible so therefore I used the center focus of the logo using the head / hair of the mermaid to sit on the front panel of the net while the rest wraps around the remaining panels.

This will test the popularity and success of the logo as well as cover the net in green (Starbucks colour) which in turn will cover a larger area of the stock which should be an interesting out come.


I wanted to keep many of the other designs quite simple but remain interesting. As one of the aspects of the sleeve i love is the fact that it uses limited colour and doesn't look cluttered, this is an important factor for me to remember, I like space in design especially if the colours being used really help compliment each other.

the design below is a simple one, but I also think it is all that is needed from a piece of packaging. In this instance the main aspect of the design will be the stock texture and colour which is only interrupted by the thin section of type.

 Again on this net I wanted a simple design, I also really like the type that is used for Starbucks and wanted to use that as the main element of the design rather than just focusing on the logo, I still wanted to incorporate the logo but make it take a little bit more of a back seat, all these are designed specifically for each net, so maybe if a set was to be created of the same design then alterations would be needed for each separate net.
 As the designs went on I wanted to mix it up again a little and try some more experimental designs that you may not usually expect on coffee packaging, I rmember something that Lorraine said about the fact that we hould be adventurous, and even if we design something that may not look the best on screen we should try it anyway because it could create a really interesting design once the net is printed and folded.

This helped inspire a lit of designs as there are so many options that you just wouldn't expect.

The design below was me trying to create a an 'S' and ' b' on either side of the net, it also was just a fun idea as it is a style of design I would have never seen Starbucks use which 1 gives me the challenge of keeping the theme of the company but also allows me to create a more unique design that people wouldn't just expect.
 Again this design was me trying to think of something different that you may not usually find in Starbucks, while still managing to capture the essence of the company, it was another design that was fueled by the layout being different and unique to the folds of the nets.

No comments:

Post a Comment