Tuesday 2 October 2012

Design Production // Idea Generation Workshop


After bringing in our 5 examples of packaging and branding we were set a task this afternoon in the workshop.

we had to choose a specific net from one of the 5 printed packaging items we brought in as well as choose one branded item that we had brought in. 

The idea was that we would use the net shape as a constant and the logo as a constant while trying to generate as many possible ways of laying the logo out onto the net, altering size, shape, colours ,type etc.

My problem was that I brought in 5 packages which don't really have nets, so I only had a choice of 1 or 2 but that didn't necessarily matter, I chose the net as well as the logo as you can see below.



I drew out the net at a smaller scale so that I could use it as a template to hopefully allow quick and accurate sketches.
 



this technique of idea generation was quite tricky to create as many ideas as was wanted but I still found it a new and useful way to generate different and unique ideas. 
You find once you get past the first 3 or 4 and start having to think of the less obvious ideas then it is quite suprising, what visual concepts you can create.

so I will be using this technique in the future where ever i feel it will benefit my idea generation.



They wanted over 100 designs in the 2 hour session but unfortunately everybody including myself, only managed to create around 15 - 20 but I am sure with practice this skill will improve..

I also need to improve with my hand drawing ability, and doing more sessions like this can only benefit me.

Below are 4 of my favorite designs I created from the session.




The task for next week is to take the 5 different nets we brought in and decide on a specific layout we have created and then apply it to each of the nets. 
This may require some more idea generation, but I will decide once I have found some more net shapes.

No comments:

Post a Comment