Thursday 3 November 2011

Design Principles typeface

Single original typefaces produced using individual sections of chosen existing type faces. Each on traced and made both solid colour and just outline, I found this quite an interesting exercise as some of the shapes created are actually visually quite acceptable.



 The bolder solid sahpes work better is some cases and in others the outlined letters appear to give the letters more quality, so they don't just merge in to one big blob of a shape, but you can see each individual section adding the the letters personality, the above 2 typefaces being a good example of this.




 Whereas some suite the block colour design better, the "B" is one of these, I like the layout of the shapes to create the final letter, however if an entire typeface was to be created using one of these designs I think I would quite quickly run into problems when trying to keep the theme of the type throughout as well as keeping each letter legible. 



I took this M design which I then named 'Battle Bottom Roman Regular' using the top solid colour as a base, I then created my font family which included



  • Light
  • Light Italic
  • Regular
  • Regular Italic
  • Bold
  • Bold Italic
  • Ultrabold Condensed
Obviously Just rough Ideas of what each member should look like, if I was to design the entire alphabet I may have to adjust certain members to fit with the shapes of individual letters.


No comments:

Post a Comment