Saturday 12 November 2011

Proverbally yours// Mailshot progress and development


After research I have found quite an interesting circular folded design that would will be able to see on my design context blog, through development i have found to get a consistent 160mm x 110mm folded format, it would have to make the circle 320mm diameter.


For the sake of mock ups I am just doing the circle at the full capacity of my compass, but unfortunately I will not be able to try out the full sized 320mm layout until I print my final pieces, due to time and money, but once i have desigend the layout I should be able to get a good idea by just scaling the design down so it fits on A3, where as the final piece each one will have to be printed on A2 in order to fit.
 The idea of using a round format for my mail shot is to represent the aspect of 'Time" in the design, so the viewer will be able to link the shape to a clock and the images above and below show some examples of ideas playing around with time markings to try and make the link as simple and obvious as possible, while also trying to keep the logo I designed from the previous poster brief to maintain the link between the 2 designs.

I think seeming though my profession and proverb are so closely linked it allows me to keep the theme of my posters and keep a clear link between the two briefs.


 After the crit I was still a little confused of what the concept of my design would be about, I knew it would be related to time  and the medical profession. However after realising i probably need to do more research on the topic of illnesses and diseases, so i focused my research on this, eventually deciding I would base the design on the 10 most common diseases from 1970 to 2011 to show that not all things are healed by time and possibly link it to some form of charity.


After deciding thins and discovering the problem that maybe it would be a little pointless as a design and wouldn't really benefit anything apart from worrying people, I decided to make the concept more specific in its area. So I think I have finally decided on the idea of making a promotional mail shot for Cancer Research UK and instead of the top 10 diseases I would choose the major different types of fatal cancers and uses it as promotional material aiming to raise money as well as awareness for Cancer Research.

 This is my first smaller mock up, scaled to A3, my resolution to keeping the envelope closed while in transit will be in the form of a belly band, which technically should keep the envelope securely closed while in the post.

I wanted somewhere to incorporate a cut through on the envelope to reveal the word 'time', but seeming though the envelope and the flier are the same thing then cutting through the front of the envelope will effect the image in the center. 
In resolution using my logo from the posters both on the front of the envelope and then in the identical place of the other side would allow me to cut out the shape to reveal the word as well as not having random shapes cut out of the flier.

I like the simplistic fold, it doesn't over complicate the design and also makes it obvious for the viewer of how it works and fits together, I believe in this case the fewer complications the better, i prefer this idea to one where you get loads of inserts and random bits of paper that are easy to loose and confuse the person reading as the are not sure what to look at first.
This design was based on my previous idea of using the major diseases but I just used this for the sake of working out how the mailshot would fold and where would be the best location for certain aspects of the design.

No comments:

Post a Comment