Saturday 26 January 2013

Design for print and web // Photos of completed printed magazine

The finished article has ended up turning out quite nicely, I may have to re think printing methods however as this single print out ended up costing be over £20 to produce overall, which obviously isn't a viable option if printing on a large scale as it would make it very difficult to make any profit as it is doubtful that people would be spending that much on a monthly magazine.


The cover i produced out of charcoal mount board, to give it a solid protective cover while keeping costs to the minimum, the cover design is meant to be limited as to leave all the focus on the logo and branding of the magazine, also it helps not to take away from the photography which is the main visual aspect of the magazine.



I used black vinyl (which I though changed colour in bright light) to finish the logo and title of the magazine, I am pleased with the result, it works well on the matt surface of the mountboard



The cover also protects the pages inside, as the book is A3 it would be easy for the pages to weigh on the ring bind but i have made the covers a few mm large than the spreads inside which seems to create a decent level of protection.


I like the finish of using cut mount board for the cover, it doesn't look posh but it gives the magazine a unique edge, as i haven't seen a monthly magazine this size or this format before, so it would be more likely to draw attention.




The prints (although expensive) turned out really nice, the photographs look fantastic printed on the matt photo stock, This made me quite happy with my photography venture, which has made me quite excited to use it again, at least to always consider it as an option.


I enjoyed creating this magazine, each aspect brought a new challenge but because I organised myself a bit better than I did with the other two modules in design production, i have had a solid level of understanding of the direction I'm going in throughout.


The photo taking and the photo editing were particular favorite areas of mine, as well as the logo design.



Ring binding the magazine seemed to be quite a good idea, it is sturdy and holds all the book firmly in place while also giving the flex ability to fold the book back on itself, a secure binding method which will be considered in the future.



No comments:

Post a Comment