Thursday 16 May 2013

Design Practice 2 // Bottle Label production

My original idea for the production of the bottle labels was to get individual labels printed onto vinyle stickers and cut on the cinyl cutter, however after considering this I would have problems as the vinyle stickers once printed and stuck on have either a transparent or white back ground which if transparent would cause the logo to be too dark on the bottle and now be seen, or each logo would have  white backround which visually wouldnt be that appealing.

Therefore i then decided I would cut the design out on the laser cutter and use the stencil created to paint the design onto the bottle,


 As you can see, as the stencil doesn't include the bowls of the B  and because the stencil wouldn't stay flush with the bottle, the result of using paint and a stencil didn't really come out that well, so I had to re think how I was going to produce these labels. For the sake of the design I just want to create a representation of how the label would look rather than creating the completed article that is water proof and damage proof.

I tried to use the negative element of the laser cut to use it as a stamp, to see if that way of transferring the image would work, however as the glass is a glossy surface and the paint it wet, the stencil just slipped around on the bottles surface so no clear image was transferred.



I was getting a little worried at this point that i was going to have to completely re think how I was going to produce these bottles, and as time is running out until the deadline i could really do with getting this production stage out of the way.

However, from laser cutting the Beer mats I was left with the negative mountboard cut outs. So I saw the opportunity to use these as the label representation, they also give a really interesting 3D effect which I personally think looks really nice. I mixed the 6 colour out of Gouache paint and painted each logo it's own individual personalities colour, the effect of using gouache pain creates a clear bright and vibrant range of colours which look great as a set.


For now I have just attached the mountboard labels with double sided sticky tape, as non of the glues I have used stick the label to the glass. but for now I think they give a good looking representation of my intentions for the bottle visuals.




No comments:

Post a Comment