Tuesday 21 February 2012

Design Practice 1 - Design is about doing poster Development

I wanted, to take some of my initial sketches and test them on Illustrator to check how I could create the imagery I am aiming for.

 At this point the design is based on the imagery of falling rain, the green back ground has been initially chosen to represent the growing capabilities of Britain thanks to the wet weather.

 This imagery of the falling rain would be a good opportunity to play with type, this type is not an existing typeface, because of the randomness of the shapes of falling rain I feel the type does not have to be perfectly symmetrical when it comes to shape, length and thickness.

 I wnted to mix the type into the pattern of the rain, but as the colours are constant it make legibility quite difficult, and at this point there is no relation to the design and Britain.

 to aid the legibility of the type, I put each letter together, to allow the reader to notice the type immediately, the type due to it's long thin shape still is not the easiest to read, but in this case you cna still read the word and I think it has better aesthetics than the previous randomly place type.

 At this point, I wanted to play with the colours, even though initially I wanted to green background to represent Britains growing capability, maybe in this design it does not suit the concept of the idea.
Changing the type colour to blue helps link the type to falling rain




In this instance I wanted to see what a plain background would look like, personally I think the white of the background suits the shape of the type face but I still think the surrounding rain confuses the design a little.

Looking back at my original sketches of the rain type, i believe the use of clouds would link the type even closer to falling rain. As well as creating a focus point for the type to originate from. so I tried a few different twchniques on Illustrator to compare different cloud shapes and colours.





 I didn't want a generic cartoon storm cloud , but instead wanted a unique cloud shape that will help the final layout of the poster.I think having a longer more abstract storm cloud will suit the thin long type better.
 Personally I like this layout below, especially on the plain white back ground, however, I am wanting to rely on some good stock quality for print, maybe choose an off white water colour paper? this will add a nicer creamier finish to the back ground, which will allow the printed version to stand out, as I think if plain white stock was used it may make the design a little bland.
As the poster so far does not link the rain to Britain but just to rain in general I need an aspect that can link the 2 subjects together. My intention at the minute is to use the rain like type to create visuals that make it look like the "rain" is falling to the ground, which again allows me to use the same message as previously intended that 'Britain was built on rain'.
I will try this by taking England's national flower which is the rose, using the rose as a metaphor for England, implying that rain has made England what it is today.

 The Rose was was based on the English rose emblem that you can see above, I took the main aspects and adjusted it to make it unique and more fitting for the poster, as you can see here below.
 As you can see, I have resulted in this poster design,  with the use of a lot of negative space, which I personally think works really well in poster designs, now I have produced the question, 'Is anything else needed to benefit the design?'





I like the poster as it is, but there is an opportunity to involve some type into this piece.
To try this out, I would need an existing typeface, that fit with the style of the poster. In this case I wanted a long thing typeface that had similar aesthetics to the 'rain' type I created.

I found this font online after searching on various websites-

Dunn, Regular 92pt


This typeface had many of the same rain like qualities.

Now to test the typeface layout and colour on the poster these are some of the options I came up with. I will resolve which one to use by asking for peer feedback online and once printed.





These appear to me to be the best options that I came up with, but need some peer feedback before I choose the final design layout.

No comments:

Post a Comment