Thursday 23 February 2012

Design Practice 1 - Design is about doing poster Development 2

The second poster that I took onto Illustrator was initially meant to develop into a design based around the sketch you can see below. where a rain droplet transforms in stages into an English rose.


 I wanted to get the right rain drop shape to use in this design as it will be the main factor of the poster so therefore needs to look right to allow rain to be conveyed appropriately.
I am a little worried about this design concept as due to the lack of time I would like to play around with some more sketch ideas of how an individual rain drop could transform into a rose in a gradual and aesthetically pleasing way.
As Illustration is not my strong point I am finishing it quite difficult to illustrate my idea clearly and in a way I would be confident to present on the final poster. Therefore in this case I think I cam going to change the basis of the design.
 I would quite like to stick to the concept 'Britain was built on rain' and as I have used the English rose in the previous design I think sticking with this theme may help the set feel more like a series of posters rather than 3 individual posters.
The colours chosen at the minute have purely been based on water, however, these colours are still linked with the British Royal Navy colours. I quite like the contrast of the tones while it also keeps the design simple. 

At this point, i thought the British link could be incorporated into a puddle shape at the bottom of the poster. I thought I would try a couple of shapes before I decided on the English rose again.
 I tried experimenting with the shape of Britain to see if this would represent the country as well as a puddle.

 As I experimented further I think I just came to the conclusion that it is too complicated of a shape to use as a puddle, and once I tried the English rose option I instantly decided to go with that.



After playing with the shape of the rose and applying the colour scheme to it, the pattern actually worked really well as a puddle, after playing around with the shape I came up with a couple of different options as you can see below, however i think the shape below evokes the imagery of water running down a plug hole instead of a puddle, and in this instance a plug hole could represent showers or non natural forms of running water, which takes away from the element of rain.
I didn't want to include text on this poster, as I don't believe it needs it, I like the simplicity of the message, and don't think type if needed to explain the concept.

No comments:

Post a Comment