Saturday 18 February 2012

Design Principles // Type and Grid - Double Page Spread

This was the double page spread I chose to re-design, I used the same grid system which was 7 columns of 20mm with a 5mm gutter between each, 25mm border at the top, 20mm border at the bottom, 15mm outer border and 10 mm inner border.


The grid I reduced by 75% to do the thumb nail sketches.



I chose to only focus on one of the articles on the double page spread, i thought this would allow a better opportunity to design a flowing DPS.
I wanted to keep the design quite simple, and to focus only around 1 image if possible or maybe even no images if necessary.
































 Out of these designs there were 2 that stood at to me the most, and they were the 2 where the heading is the main feature of the dps, I also still wanted to keep a military style to the spread to continue the theme of war.

 After messing around on Indesign I knew I wanted to keep it as simple as possible, I also really like speace on magazine spreads i think it creates a good aesthetic as well as focusing the importance on the information and improving the readability of the page.































As the spreads main visual feature was the heading, then I wanted this to be military based, with typical military style typeface,, the problem would be that the body copy would not be readable at a smaller font size, So for that I thought a clean, smart sans serif font would work well, Gil Sans seemed to do the job well I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment