Wednesday 1 February 2012

Design Process - 100 things, string close bag and T-shirt design ideas.

String close bag

For the string close bag (similar to the bag) I want it to be designed to;
  • advertise the company
  • be functional and useful as a gym bag
  • remain simple 
  • remain within the same colour scheme
As I have a set theme throughout the products, that involves the green heart monitor bar and the logo, I will use a similar template for the bag and probably the t shirt, I want all 10 products to look like they belong together, it seems layout and colour will link them in the best way.

I will have to purchase a plain black string bag, this again like the shaker bottles, is not an easy task, I also want to try and keep costs down, and without buying a bulk order, I believe I am going to have to buy an existing branded bag and cover it.

As I already know the bags colour will have to fall within the set colour theme I have chosen, this means the bags must only be black, white or green. considering the difficulty of finding a single bag to use for my print, it will be impossible for me to find a green bag which shares the same colour as the green of the heart monitor bar. so therefore It will have to be either white or black.

Below are some quick illustrator mock ups of the proposed bag designs.
 I must bare in mind, how I will print onto the bag. Again like the bottles i think I will use stickers to apply the design, this couldn't be used if product was being mass produced and teh bags were being used as bags, as the stickers would eventually fall off and as the bags will be at risk of rain and water, the design must be permanently printed and waterproof. 
Screen print would be a good option i think, however as I am not limited with time I think it would make more sence for me to use stickers.
 Depending on the colour and design I choose will help me make a decision of what stickers to use, if the black bag is picked, i must use normal paper based stickers as transparent stickers would not be clearly visible.
 I quite like the idea of having the title 'Aiming to keep you', as this links with the title from the poster and leaflet, while also including the name of the gym into the slogan. the intention being 'Aiming to keep you ... Fit 4 Life'

After a quick look around for bags, for ease's sake a black bag will be much easier to find, as well as look neater and stay neater, as the black will not show scuff marks whereas the white one will, as the intention of this bag is to be used to transport gym gear therefore probably will be thrown around a lot, so should be durable and scuff resistant.


I believe one of the above are the best designs will fit the other products the best, however I will get opinions from peers to see what other people think.

T-shirt Design 

For the t-shirt, it is more than likely I will stick to similar designs as the string closed bag, as again I want it to be simple, visually pleasing but still durable and useable.


 I adapted the existing designs to see what they would look like on t-shirts


 These 2 above are my favorite options at the minute, as they keep the t shirt quite simple as well as advertise the company and link the visuals to the logo.


The design below is the one I have chosen to follow through and make, Idealy I would like to screen print this t-shirt as I think this would produce the best final result, however again down to time limitations I am going to try and use t-shirt transfer paper, this should allow me to show the aesthetics of the t shirt and keeping cost down.

 Unfortunately after going and purchasing a plain white t-shirt and printing my design onto the transfer paper, I had a lot of trouble getting the paper to transfer the image onto the t shirt, the logo was still not transferring even after the iron started to dis-colour and burn the t-shirt, eventually i got half the transfer to feel away from the paper, but unfortunately the rest of the transfer was ruined. so over all it ruined the t-shirt to an irreparable condition.

 This means I am going to have to think of another way producing the visuals of the t-shirt, this may just entail me Photoshopping design onto a real t shirt template, this should give a good enough idea of the aesthetics of the shirt. I am really disappointed with the result of the actual t-shirt and in this case I do not have the funds to buy more transfer paper and a new t shirt. So I feel Photoshop is my only other option.


No comments:

Post a Comment