Sunday 5 February 2012

Design Process - Printed leaflets

The prints did not come out as well as I would have hoped, I think i made the incorrect choice of stock for the leaflet the bulk news print I used appears to be a little too thin and I don't like the text of the finished leaflet, so I will try and re print the leaflets again on a thicker stock, ensuring that it will not bleed when printed on.

I have some nice durable water colour paper which is much thicker, I made the mock up from it and it does need to be folded well but if pressed it produces and nice leaflet, it also it off white which I think might give the leaflets a little more character. 
This all depends if I can print at the drop in time slots, which may be difficult considering how busy it will be this week.

Another problem with the leaflet print was that the print did not align the front and back correctly and was dragged to the side as much as 5mm in places, I was told that this is unavoidable and the printer can't always print inline. This is again a little bit annoying as I don't know how I will avoid this problem, even if I manage to print on a different stock I may very well have this same problem with the double sided printing alignments. I had this problem with the previous mailshot brief but fortunately in that brief only one of the print outs wasn't aligned correctly, whereas in this case with these leaflets, 3 out of 4 of the prints hasn't printed in the correct alignment, This is a problem I will have to remember for the future as it is inevitable I will want to print double sided again so I may have to look into alternative ways of printing high quality double sided.

However in this case i have come up with a solution, I have realised that it is pointless printing the white figuers on the front cover wings, so if I delete them and just have plain black replacing it, if the printer does mess up again it shouldn't be noticeable. once cut out, as long as I use a lot of bleed.



Printed design

 Amended design
Printed leaflets






 As you can see this stock also gets fury edges when cutting detailed edges, it didn't take much to scrape the ink off the paper, and i just think that's because it's cheaper quality paper, I initially thought it felt thick and smooth but I realise now that i should have probable gone with a pricier, thicker, more durable paper.





However considering the bad quality of print I am still quite happy with the overall layout and design of the leaflet, I think if I get the chance to re-print it will will improve the quality considerably.

No comments:

Post a Comment