Sunday 24 February 2013

Design practice 2 // Viking research Design Boards

OUr task for this weeks session was to produce 5 presentation boards that explain clearly what our topic is, what areas we are researching, who the target audience are, formats we would like to use as well as finishing techniques we would like to incorporate.

At this point in the brief I still have a wide range of interests in the vikings and my research has been quite broad, so for this task I tried to strip it back to the basics.

Board 1

The reasons I chose the vikings as my topic in the first place.

I wanted to get across what are the basic elements I like the most about the vikings, and to be honest it is mostly visual as they were quite a nasty bunch, but they looked awesome as they were massive warriors with huge beards fighting with over sized scary weapons and when they finished they retired and drank large quantities of mead out of a horn.

I then made a board specifically about each of these areas, these would focus on each topic as if it were the chosen topic, starting with contextual and visual research then an example of format in a similar tone of voice as I would like to use in this brief.

Board 2

When focusing on weaponry, I thought the reason they were so good was because of their size shape and uniqueness to any other fighting force at that time, and once I had found the example of Bryan Ku's 'Pillow Fight' collection I couldn't get the idea out of my head and think it would be a quite interesting and knowledgeable concept to follow as it would be totally different to anything I had produced before.


Board 3

The main research around beards was the tools used for grooming at the time rather than the reason behind vikings having beards. So that focused me more towards the grooming aspect when thinking about design format, but then i also wanted to have quite a light hearted approach to whatever I decide to do so looking at the paint brushes and beard heads was more of a tone of voice concept than a design one.

Board 4

Drinking, another of the infamous trait of the vikings. this area however i think gave me the most area of interest out of all of them, I would love the opportunity to design my own beer bottles and packaging which revolves around viking design.


No comments:

Post a Comment