Tuesday 26 February 2013

Design Practice 2 // Workshop and research board crit

Todays workshop was split into 2 sections, the first was another 5 words task to help us really refine our topic and intended concept.

5 words 
  • That sum up your good
  • Tone of voice
  • Target audience
  • Process and Finishes
  • Products
The key is to try and be as specific as possible which is much more difficult than you might think, especially with my topic being so broad at this moment in time.

Sum up your good
  • Fun 
  • Rustic
  • Informative
  • Shape
  • Pattern
Tone of voice
  • Comedic/ Humorous
  • Educational
  • Informative
  • Fun for young adults
  • Historical 
Target Audience
  • 18 - 25 year olds
  • Drinkers
  • Male
  • Creatives
  • Action and adventure gamers
Process and Finish
  • Screen Print
  • Embossing
  • Laser Cut
  • Foiling
  • Vacuum mold
  • Textile print
Products
  • Logo/ Brand
  • Beer Bottle / Label
  • Pillow / Game
  • Beer bottle sleeve
  • Beer bottle packaging
  • Packaging for beard grooming kit
  • Mask (with beard)
  • Drinking vessel (pint glass/ horn/ tankard)
  • Comb/ Brush
  • Drinking game 
I also decided that my brief would be focused around 
  • A collection of ...
and the two main design areas I will be basing my product range around will be 
  • Product and Packaging
  • Brand and Identity
The second half of the session was revolved around criting our research boards, the format of this crit didn't really aid the design of my boards as they did rely my explanation along with the visuals in order to get my message across, however we were split into groups and our boards were rotated between 6 people all individually viewing and criting the boards, and as mine have no real direction at this moment in time the feedback I received was rather unanimous .

Feedback overview

Negative
  • Lack of contextual information (all boards)
  • Boards not numbered
  • image alone doesn't explain much
  • Boards are quite vague
I found it quite tricky at this stage to know what to include on these boards, and as I thought that the less text on a board the better then I was designing them with that in mind, I do however agree there should be more structure to the boards, they would need to be simplified if It was only image that was going to be used to portrait my message. however as the crit tomorrow I will have a chance to talk through my boards and present them to the group I think I will keep the boards with no text.
 

 
Positive
  • Strong consistent layout
  • Clear headings
  • good range of visuals






No comments:

Post a Comment