Saturday 2 February 2013

Responsive // Bacardi Brief Design for Box lid

below I have produced a range of designs from my initial sketches that could be possibly laser cut onto the lid of the box, the visuals of the entire product must attract the younger male audience of 18 - 25, however, considering this concept, the product would often be bought by friends and families as gifts for the younger male, therefore, it must still focus towards the 18 -25 males while still grabbing the eye of possible gift buyers.

I started by looking at the existing visuals that Bacardi are using, as it was the anniversary of the company last year they are celebrating the evolution of the company. so both have modern and traditional elements incorporated in their designs.

They have incorporated both modern tall, serif font as well as the traditional serif font ' Perpetua Bold' that is most commonly known for Bacardi.



After looking at the range of logos that have been evolved by Bacardi over the years, I have decided to go for the design from 1959, which I think suits the traditional/ retro feel I am going for, as this will produce the best results for an old style wooden cigar box. 

I also came to the conclusion that the more modern logo is a little too complicated for the design, and when laser cut onto the box this may become a little confusing


I wanted to try and take the same approach, using both traditional and modern elements to attract the audience, I also want to maintain the feeling of a traditional Cuban Cigar box to ensure that the visuals link clearly and the consumer understands the link.


I started by tring to keep the designs quite traditional and not incorporating the sans serif font at this time, to see if the more traditional style would suit the retro look.



I quite like the layout that I have produced but the font and image together kind of reminds me of the branding for a bank or something more corporate, which obviously is the opposite of what I am going for.


Again i think it is purely the font that is doing this to the design.


So i went on to involve the modern sans serif typeface 'Arvil Sans' which is similar to the example that Bacardi are currently using on their website. 

I am much happier with the results below as they give a more unique and personal style to the box, and I could very much imagine one of these designs laser cut into the lid. I also think it keeps with ongoing branding of Bacardi while still keeping the visuals to a style of design that links quite well with typical cigar box design.


I think at the minute the design below is my personal favorite, I have tried to use the evolution of the logo as inspiration, while trying to visually portrait versatility from the drink, as well as linking to the fact that there are 6 test tubes (Bacards / Shots) inside the box that can be consumed in various different ways depending on your personal taste and preference.



No comments:

Post a Comment