Thursday 28 February 2013

Photography Workshop

 Photography Workshop


This was a really useful session today, to re cap on the element of digital photography that we learnt last year. It is always really nice to get your hands on a DSLR, especially in the manual mode we have been taught adjusting the ISO and shutter speed manually, you can have so much control over how the photo will come out, in relation to the exposure and brightness.



We experimented with various different lenses and different methods of lighting, these all hugely effect the result of the photograph, as you can see even with the regular lens you can take some really accurate macro images. You also have control over which areas are in focus and which are not, this is known as 'Depth perception'.



I decided to try and practice on my own piece of design to see if I could createsome decent photographys for my portoflio, or atleast learn some techniques that will aid my portfolio skills.

Marcus helped give me some tips about how what you should try to do when shooting objects with different textures and finishes.

as you can see photograph number 1. looks flat and 2D with the logo and heading onf the cover seeming to have the same texture and finish as the stock it is printed on.

1.   


By using the light as a tool, you can capture the actual finished elements that make the piece what it is. Just by positioning the light to reflect off certain parts and not others gives an accurate portrayal of what materials have been used and how it would look in real life.


2.

I then went onto experiment with the Super macro lens which is huge and quite heavy, but the zoom on it was quite impressive, I am sure it would have been much easier to take some shots with a tripod but for times sake I was just shooting normally.

As you can see (when you can hold the camera steady and get the right shutter speed and exposure) the detail you can get with this lens is amazing and can produce some brilliant close up shots.

You can see every detail and blemish which I quite like in this piece because it gives it a hands made feel which adds personality to the magazine.


This would be a great tool for textiles shooting or anything with a textured finish as you can see on this hat below there can be some really nice shots produced.


I then tried experimenting with a different platform and lighting, I think I need a little more practice with using the ISO and shutter speed settings manually before I can get some really nice portfolio photos but the workshop is a good initial practice phase.




In some cases the photographs could be slightly edited in photoshop,but if you spend a bit of time working out the right settings then you shouldn't need to edit the photographs at all.

These examples below are little too dark I think.




I am happy with how today went as well as how some of the shots came out, I have learnt a lot  and would really like to improve this skill so i can use it confidently in everyday design, i really do like photography and it would make a huge difference to my practice if i could have more control of how the photographs I take come out.

No comments:

Post a Comment