Monday 5 March 2012

Design Practice 1 - Communication is a virus // Banner Design

The banner above the box needs to
  • Communicate the message 
  • Ensure the audience know what they need to do to interact with the project.
As the banner will be directly above the lies box, I thought it could incorporate the design of the diamonds to work as an arrow, directing the audience to the deposit slot.



It the occoured to me that I could make the banner diamond which would have a natural arrow which I could highlight to the audience.


I decided to take the diamond shaped banner idea onto Illustrator, using Martins original box design files.

I came up with this text to put on the poster

  • 'Lies have a habit of distancing you from the people you care about the most'
  • 'If you Have tole a lie in the past week, please put a 'Lie-slip' into the Lonely-Lie-Collator'


I got quite attached to this idea, as the visuals do not only follow the theme of the rest of the designs, it also looks like lie slips going down into the deposit slot.

I wanted to encourage the pattern in the design so I produced the arrow from the highlighted edges of the diamonds.
 I experimented with the patterns to produce this, I liked it, I thought it created interesting shapes and looks pretty unique for a poster or banner.


This did leave me with the small problem of the type layout and I wasn't happy with any of the solutions I came up with 







All of them interrupted the flow of the design, I also was having trouble using the typeface in longer sentences, Trade Gothic Bold Oblique has a great impact to the design in single words, in the center of the diamonds for example, but I really dont think it suits the design when written in longer sentences,

I want to explore further options before dismissing the typeface.


I thought maybe we could have 2 smaller diamond shaped banners along side the main one to hold the paragraphs of text.

I wasn't sure about this and thought I would leave it to discuss with the group tomorrow, it is an option and it might be useful to see other peoples designs for the other product to see if mine fits, and see what the group thinks about the idea.

I also produced another quick layout idea to present to the group, but i am still not sure about the type and how to get it to work and look natural, this will be a point I bring up to the group, to see if we should change the type or at least discuss options, seeming though this so far has been the only typeface considered.


I like the layout of the title, but again the body copy is really troubling me to get right.

No comments:

Post a Comment