Saturday 24 March 2012

Design Practice 1 // Stamp it - Crit and Feedback

The Crit was a different one today, small groups, presenting their designs to Amber and Jo, It was actually one of my favorite formats for a crit to take, as in this circumstance, I really felt like I got concentrated personal feedback, which was directed at me and only me.

This helped me really get some proper critical feedback, which i coud personally go away and amend.

As I presented my design, i got quite positive initial reactions, i explained that my design revolved around standby power, and even though I know it is not the biggest issue when it comes down to global warming, it is still an issue that needs tackling and will help global warming in the long run.

At this point i asked everyone if they understood the message I am trying to convey, without having to explain it to them and generally they did understand the concept, the only thing that they seemed to question was the lined patterned background. It was suggested by Jo that she thought they there to represent power lines. Even though that would fit into into my concept, I am not going to lie and say that was my original intention.

They also made a comment about the quality of the print, and the un-eco friendly amount of black in it took to print the stamps and boards. 
I do agree with this comment, it is a little silly that I decided to print a lot of solid black, especially seeming though it is a brief that is specific to global warming and climate change. Next time I would experiment more with colours / stocks and printing techniques to make the stamps themselves more economically friendly.

After a little discussion in the group and a look at my presentation boards, Jo found my initial type ideas  and first draft of the stamp design with the black background and no pattern. She said that personally she proffered the more simple, design that I originally made, Amber added that visually it created a more interesting and less confusing, unique set of stamps.
I needed this kind of feedback, because as i was ill the week prior to the crit, I have not really had chance to gather peoples feedback or reactions about my design.

So it was decided that It would be better if I took the stamps back a stage and re did them in the simpler format. However, considering I got these printed properly and I have tried to continue the theme throughout all the deliverable, I am going to use the one printed to show in the presentation on Monday and re print before module submission.

No comments:

Post a Comment