Sunday 18 March 2012

Design Practice 1 // Stamp it - Design development

After the feedback on Fridays crit, I decided to follow the option below, and try to create a design from red dots alone to indicate  that one person does and will make a difference, and something as small as turning off certain products from standby, can help the environment.

It is an area that doesn't get that much publicity when it comes down to fighting global warming, there are many larger threats that need to be dealt with, such as deforestation and the use of fossil fuels, but I think it has got to the stage now where everybody is quite aware of these major problems. So focusing on a problem that can be solved quickly and with minimum effort may entice more people into participating.

Taking into consideration the options of stamp size, I would like to keep the stamp smaller and not too overpowering, I visually dont think the larger stamp sizes look as nice when placed on the envelope, 

Therefore my chosen stamp size will be 27mmW x 37mmH. We shall have to see if this size suites my concept but I shall make changes if and when needed.




Initial Illustrator development 

One of the pieces of feedback I received praised the idea of simplicity, I think it would create fantastic imagery. I am wanting to create a set of 4 / 6 stamps that build up from begining to end. Going from a single red dont  and gradually throughout each stamp gaining dots to eventually reveal the shape of great Britain.

To try and keep the stamps as simple as possible is my first aim, so theoretically the viewer will not be able to tell the dots make up great Britain until the last Stamp.

I understand that the message will not be conveyed if there was only the dots on the stamp, I imagine Text will need to be added, obviously due to the minimal space and size of the stamp I will not be able to put large amount of information on there but I am currently trying to experiment with different short slogans that may be able to be put in the corner or down the side of each stamp.

I have to remember that the stamps have to communicate the message individually and not just as a set.







 I wanted to vary the size of the dots, I think this gives more texture to the design. I tried the dots all at one size but it doesn't have the same visual effect it look much more dull especially as the amount increased.

At the minute I am trying the set as a 4, but I am worried that this will not give me enough room to clearly communicate my message. So I may add another 2 allowing a steadier increase of dots and more space to add additional information.



I have not decided on any specific colours at this point, I know for sure that I want to keep the dots red as this is the colour most associated with standby lights.

I think I prefer the black background, it is not the best screenshot in the world but on screen the dots still stand out on the dark background. I will keep experimenting with colours throughout as well as testing print quality and get peer feedback as and when needed.


For the headers and amounts I want to contain it all to one corner, I know the queens head can only be placed in either the top left or top right, facing towards the design, but there is an option to locate the amount in any corner of the stamp, but for simplicities sake, keeping it all in one corner will limit the amount of space taken up.


I tried experimenting with dots for the queens head, but after reading the RSA brief again, it seems to be majorly important that the queens head and amount are 100% clear and visible. Maybe a solid colour would be the safer option. Also on such a small scale it wouldnt really visually make that much difference.

No comments:

Post a Comment